New reports: Isle of Man geophysics

Two reports have been published documenting the work BACAS did alongside Marl Noel and Dave Martin of the Keeills Research Project in the Isle of Man last July.

The first report is about Corrody Keeill, an early Christian chapel on a hillside above the upper Sulby valley. Surrounded by cultivated fields, the Keeill currently appears as a low walled rectangular building some 6x3m, set within a ring some 14m in diameter of upright stones, all atop a slightly raised 20x35m platform. Mid-way between the Keeill and Creggan farmstead stands a hooded walk-in well, reputedly holy with healing powers. In the Southern corner of the ‘Well Field’, low banks still define a possible building footprint which was at one time thought to have been the Keeill.

The second report is about another early Christian chapel, Keeill Bow. The site lies on a near-plateau just to the South of Sky Hill which is the eastern end of a ridge which dominates the western prospect from Ramsey; this ridge is part of the northern flank of the main uplands of the Isle of Man.  Known prehistoric burials in the area to the west of the main plateau, including cinerary urns, indicate the hand of man on and around this plateau dating back at least as far as the Bronze Age. Later, the slopes of Sky Hill are said to have been the site of a decisive battle in 1079 AD.

Both publications can be downloaded from the Reports section.