BACAS is 75!

Seventy five years ago, on 21 November 1948, a meeting was held at Camerton Court (above) to form an ‘archaeological field club’. The driving force was local man Bill Wedlake who had been involved in excavations at Camerton for several years. He had also worked at many other sites, including Maiden Castle (as supervisor) and Glastonbury Lake Village.

It was proposed that the name should be the “Camerton Excavation Club’. The annual subscription was set at 5 shillings (25p). The Camerton Excavation Club would become the Bath and Camerton Archaeological Society in 1963, changing to our current name in 2018.

William J (Bill) Wedlake was Sir Mortimer Wheeler’s most trusted assistant and accompanied him on many excavations. He was our Chairman and President for forty years, dying in 1989.

Photo by Rwendland – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=11377187