Camertonia 1 (1950)
The Key Logo. The letters C.E.C. for the Camerton Excavation Club are in the head of the key. List of contents.
Camerton – Its Archaeological Past, Present and FutureW.J. Wedlake
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 1 – 12.
Detailed article following that in the ‘Newsletter’ of 1949. Sites mentioned include Bath, Twinhoe, Woodborough, Wellow, High Littleton, Midsomer Norton, the Fosse Way, Colchester, Verulamium (St Albans)and the Bristol Museum. Reference to the naming of The Daglands at Camerton.
The Camerton siteWJW & JB
Camertonia 1 (1950) p. 13.
Drawing of the Fosse Way and adjoining fields.
Rowberrow Field, CamertonJB
Camertonia 1 (1950) p. 14.
Drawing of N-S section across Tumuli I and II
Taking Archaeology in One’s StrideClaudia Reed
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 15 – 17.
Memories of archaeology in Aldershot, Malta and Portsmouth.
Scratch DialsW.H. Gould
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 17 – 19.
An overview of time measuring devices. Mention of the Abbeys at Westminster, St Albans & Glastonbury and the Cathedral at Wells.
A Seeing Eye in the Old ChurchH F Moore
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 19 – 22.
Church & churchyard observation with particular reference to Wellow and Hungerford.
Camertonia 1 (1950) p. 22.
Two Centurions watch a group of ancient Britons on a dig site. Caption “Them? O merely some types from Aqua Sulis who congregate here every weekend” (Bath)
The Road Junction at Camerton SettlementC.N.S Smith
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 23 – 26.
Detailed report. Place names include Bourton on the Water, Gloucester Buckle Street, Glastonbury, Radstock, Kilmersden, Charlton, Haydon, Taunton Museum, Priddy, Mells Down, Newbury Hill and Snowshill Barrow in Gloucestershire.
The Road Junction at Camerton
Camertonia 1 (1950) p. 25.
Drawing, putting the Camerton site into a wider perspective, with Kilmersden to the south and Stantonbury Camp to the north.
Earthworks of AntiquityMax Unwin
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 26 – 29.
Conventions in the study of earthworks. Sites mentioned are Hampton Court, Caer Caradoc, Bury Ditches nr Lydbury and Church Stretton (both in Salop), Blackbury Castle nr Seaton in Devon and Maiden Castle.
Mainly about Ogof yr EsgyrBetty Newman
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 29 – 33.
Report on a series of caves in the hills 20 miles north of Swansea. Notable find – a Roman Seal Box.
Excursion Reports 1950
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 33 – 40.
Uley & Belas Knapp Long Barrows & Chedworth Roman Villa by C.N.S Smith. Detailed description of the day, led by Mrs E.M Clifford. Maiden Castle by Ann Hole. Detailed description of the day led by Bill Wedlake, who had dug here with Mortimer Wheeler. Return journey took in the Cerne Abbas Giant and Sherborne Abbey Church. Avebury, Windmill Hill & Silbury by M H Gould. Detailed description of the day led by Club member, Mr Young. Stonehenge, Old Sarum & Farnham Museum by Tom Cleworth. Detailed description of the day. Led, at Salisbury Museum, by the curator Mr H de S Shortt and at Farnham by the Curator, Major Joyce.
A Diary of the Rev John Skinner, 1772 – 1839W.J. Wedlake
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 41 – 48.
Continuation of article in 1949 Newsletter.
Shoscombe Barrow and Seven Acre Quarry by Rev. SkinnerJB
Camertonia 1 (1950) p. 49.
Drawing and water colour sketch now held in the British Museum.
“Go to Camerton” (A Day Dream)Tom Cleworth
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 50 – 51.
A light hearted look at the dig site and the diggers.
Conversation Piece – A.D. 160 (circa)G.E.Rook
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 51 – 52.
A playlet, with a cast of C.E.C. members
Editorial Miscellanea including Coming Events
Camertonia 1 (1950) pp. 52 – 55.
Planned lectures for March and April 1951 and excursions to Devizes & Lacock, Wales, Vale of the White Horse and Woodchester. See Camertonia No 2 1951/2 for Reports. List of members.