Spinney Close, Keynsham
publication date: Mar 7, 2017
Roman structures were observed under the cemetery for Keynsham in the 1870’s and
there were formal excavations in the 1920’s, which extended to the far side of the
road embankment (dating from the 1820’s) next to the cemetery. There has been some
suspicion that the structure beyond the embankment had not been correctly located
with respect to those found in the cemetery as there is no line of sight between these.
The survey described here was done in January 2017 and was intended to observe
features on the opposite side of the road embankment and locate them with respect to
the structures in the cemetery. Twin-probe resistance was used for the survey, and this
showed the structures excavated in the 1920’s, as well as a conduit and structure to
the south-west and a long structure to the east, possibly of later date. Location of
features was limited to an accuracy of no better than 5 m, but this was sufficient to
show that the original 1920’s plans were misaligned by about 10 m.